Saturday 26 October 2013

Butternut Squash a' la Kitty.x



This recipe is dedicated to my friend Kitty, one of the loveliest girls I know.
She seems to like butternut squash so this one's for her.
I love autumn, the colours, the new beginnings, Halloween..So many incredible reasons to be smiling, but mostly : IT'S SQUASH SEASON!!! All the wonderful shapes and sizes and colours at the farmers market bring me so much joy...And believe it or not, this year was the first time I actually roasted my own squash. I know, it's crazy.But we just moved to this wonderful new house with a proper oven in our cozy kitchen  and I thought the time had finally come.
So I went and bought two lovely  delicata squash and made some autumnal magic..now, this is a recipe that you can prepare even if you have a superbusy life I can assure you, all I have been doing for the past three weeks is working on my essay but these beauties were roasting while I studied, the sauce took 10 min to cook and the polenta about 1 min.Not bad ah?
Give it a try and you won't regret it. Happy Autumn to you all!!!

INGREDIENTS

2 small delicate squash
1 cup of gluten free instant polenta ( but you can use regular one)
3 organic tomatoes
10 small organic chestnut mushrooms
A little pic
A pinch of nutmeg
A drizzle of extravirgin olive oil

Preheat your oven at 190c, gas mark 5, 375F.
Wash the outside of your squash, cut the top and bottom and place it vertical on a cutting board and slice it in half  lengthwise.Make sure it's nice and stable before you make the cut and put your weight on it. Scoop the seeds out from both halves, sprinkle with a little nutmeg and place with the inside part facing down on a roasting tray. Cover the tray with foil to keep the heat inside and make the squash delicious and soft then go back to study ( in my case..) or do anything else you need to.
Your squash will need about 40 minutes.
10 minutes before taking them out of the oven, dust and slice your mushrooms,wash and slice your tomatoes and put everything in a pan with a little olive oil and salt and pepper on a medium heat.just stir the vegetables every now and then and in 10 minutes your sauce will be ready!

2 min before your sauce is done just boil water in the kettle and then use 1 mug and a half of boiling water and add to that half a mug of polenta while storing slowly, add salt and pepper.

Take the squash out, turn them with the inside part up and add a little polenta and the tomato and   muhrooms sauce on top of that.
Serve ideally with some lovely greens as a side. Buon Appetito!

Xxx

Valentina

No comments:

Post a Comment