Tuesday 16 June 2015

Laura's Coconut Crème Caramel




am FINALLY on summer break from Uni!!!Whoop! This means I can now dedicate more time to Foodolina as I have neglected this blog too much due to  being overwhelmed with assignments at school...

So, the first post of summer season is this ridiculously good recipe by my fabulous friend Laura.
She's a my classmate, a strong, gorgeous, smart woman and incredibly talented cook.

A couple of weeks ago, some of us girls from class, went to Laura's house to revise for our exams.

(This is Truffle. Laura's dog, nothing to do with recipe itself but too cute not to include in the post..)❤️


After our morning session, our host showed us inside for lunch, she had prepared the most amazing dairy free dishes and added a gluten free twist to some of them so I could try them too :)

Everything was so tasty and light and nutritious and so colourful!I was in foodie heaven..

After I had a second serving of almost everything (I'm tiny but you have NO IDEA of how much I can eat..) Laura served us dessert. WOW.

A dairy free coconut crème caramel that left us all speechless (we were too busy eating it..) and oh so happy!

When I posted a picture of this delicious treat on Facebook I got a few recipe requests and Laura has kindly shared her recipe with me so here I am passing it on to you.

Because life is too short not to have dessert.

Enjoy!


COCONUT CRÈME CARAMEL

INGREDIENTS

1 x 400ml can coconut milk

5 egg yolks

Agave syrup to sweeten the mixture to taste

Juice of half a lime + grated rind

FOR THE CARAMEL

3 tbsp coconut sugar
1tbsp water


Put coconut sugar in a pot heat with 1 tbsp of water. Shake pot to mix sugar with water, do not stir.
When it begins to look like caramel turn off the heat. It should only take a few minutes.
Spoon into individual ramekins or teacups and set aside.


Now whisk egg yolks and add agave syrup, lime juice and rind and finally coconut milk.
You can add a little water to increase the liquid if need be.

Add hot water to a roasting dish.
Fill the ramekins with coconut filling but do so delicately without upsetting the caramel in the base.
place the ramekins in the roasting dish, cover with foil and cook in the oven at 170c for 20 minutes until the top is springy to the touch.

Best chilled overnight.x



No comments:

Post a Comment