Tuesday 19 July 2016

Soothing thyme & rosemary tea





Yes, it's July. I know. But i just came back from Italy and after two days I started to get ill, a cold that slowly turned into a chest infection. No reason to panic, I am now on antibiotics (sometimes you just have to..) and hopefully I will be able to enjoy normal interaction with other people soon, as at the moment all my energy goes into trying not to cough into everybody's face.. 

In the meantime though, I really needed something to help soothe the cough and my painful throat.

As studies have shown that rosemary possesses anti inflammatory, antibacterial and anti fungal properties amongst others, and thyme contains compounds that might be helpful in respiratory infections, I thought these two ingredients should definitely end up in my tea!

I added them to my regular fresh ginger (anti inflammatory), lemon (vitamin C hit) and raw honey (antibacterial and anti fungal) concoction...

This tea that felt so soothing in my throat, was also incredibly delicious and smelled heavenly.

I knew I had to share this discovery with you. 
So if you find yourself in need of some TLC for your throat, give this a try and let me know what you think.

I hope you are enjoying this gorgeous summer day, 

Love.

Foodolina

REFERENCES:

Ribeiro-Santos R, Carvalho-Costa D, Cavaleiro C, Costa HS, Goncalves Albuqurque T, Conceicao Castilho M, Ramos F, Melo NR, Sanches Silva A (2015
A novel insight on an ancient aromatic plant: The rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.). Trends in Food Science & Technology, 45: 355-368.

  1. A. Fabio, 
  2. C. Cermelli, 
  3. G. Fabio, 
  4. P. Nicolet, 
  5. P. Quaglio (2007)
  6. Screening of the antibacterial effects of a variety of essential oils on microorganisms responsible for respiratory infections. Phytotherapy Research, 4: 374-377.


    Sasikumar, B. (2012) Rosemary. In K. V. Peter (Ed.), Handbook of herbs and spices,
    pp. 452e468.

    Shigeharu Inouye, Hideyo Yamaguchi, Toshio Takizawa (2001) Screening of the antibacterial effects of a variety of essential oils on respiratory tract pathogens, using a modified dilution assay method.Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, 4: 251-254. 


No comments:

Post a Comment